|Up||Updated 7 July 2005|
I then cut the edges that match up with other map boards (for games with more than one), and trim the edges. I cut the back of the foam board through just the foam, leaving the cardstock and laminate film for a hinge. I cut away part of the foam along one side of the cut to make it easier to lay flat.
I also offer mounted but unlaminated (not any cheaper since I just rip the laminate film off the pouchboard before laminating), and unmounted for those who want to mount it themselves.
This mounting method isn't ideal, as the laminate sometimes has spots where it doesn't cleanly adhere to the printed map (it isn't loose, but you can see little spots where the color looks different) and the foam is occasionally slightly warped. Also, my manual cutting of the pieces to line up can be slightly off. I don't think any of this will impact play, but it is the one area where I think my work is not quite as good as the commercially produced games. However, the commercially printed/mounted maps are simply not feasible at the quantities I produce these games.
Here are pictures and dimensions of the two choices:
I generate the tiles automatically from a tile database (originally TileDesigner data, but extended as needed to produce print-ready output) using Marco Rocci's TileDesigner rendering algorithms. I can also produce tiles for any game I have tile descriptions of and I can make custom tiles easily as well. The cost for custom tiles is $1.50/page laminated with 5mil laminate and die-cut -- that gets 24 tiles, but adjacent tiles in the same column have to be the same color or a space is wasted. For more information, see the tiles page.